Through this postpartum experience I have gone through different phases with how I feel about my postpartum body. You could say it’s been like a roller coaster ride. There have definitely been some highs and lows. Here are my three phases and my journey through them.
1. Ava's 6 Month Check-up: This week Ava went for her 6 month check-up. She weighs 12 pounds 9 ounces, her height is 24 3/4 inches, and her head's circumference is 39.7 centimeters. We like to call her the "one percenter" because she has been in the 1st percentile for her weight for a while now. The doctor said he's not worried about it because she is growing and that's all that matter. After all, someone has to be the 1%. Heck I wish I was in the 1% for my weight. People always ask me if she was a premie and the answer is no. She is just a petite baby. She also got her vaccinations that day. Yes, I am a mother who vaccinates her child. Anyhow, Ava is growing and learning something new everyday and we are loving every minute of it!
2. New York City: So I told Joey that I was ready to start try to lose weight. I would like to lose 20 pounds but I lack motivation. I told him that I really needed help with this and that I needed someone to push me and keep me motivated. Of course, he said he would help me out and encourage me to work hard in order to reach my goal. He also gave me a little incentive. If I lose the 20 pounds that I want to lose and keep it off, then during my Christmas break this year he will take me to New York for two nights to see the City during Christmas time and a Broadway show! I immediately shook his hand and said deal!!! I will keep you all posted on my progress here on the Five on Friday! Wish me luck! Oh, and don't worry I will still be posting recipes with all the good stuff in it and some healthier recipes. There will be a good mixture of both.
3. Healthy Pancake Recipe: I posted this recipe earlier this week. It is a great alternative to the traditional pancake recipe. Give it a try! You can find the recipe here.
4. Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe: I have been working hard the past few months to come up with my own chocolate chip bakery style cookie. I think I am almost there. I just need to try a few more things and I should have it figured out.
5. Strawberry Season: One of our favorite places to get strawberries is at Parksdale Farms in Plant City, FL. One reason is because of their amazing strawberry milkshakes. They are fabulous. Usually this time of year the line for the milkshakes is wrapped around the building but they move fast and its totally worth it. The second reason is because they always have the best strawberries. So far crop has been so delicious this season. They are nice and sweet and you don't even need sugar.
I am a lover of pancakes that is for sure, but sometimes a good old fashion buttermilk pancake isn't the best thing for you when you are watching your calorie intake or trying to lose some weight. Luckily, I stumbled across these pancakes. Believe it or not they are pretty good. Of course in this picture they are drizzled with syrup and I sprinkled just one or two...ok maybe 5 or 6 mini semi sweet chocolate chips. However, you could easily make a healthier choice by substituting honey for syrup, and cocoa powder for chocolate chips. Either way these pancakes are a good one to add the the list of healthy recipes.
1. Salty Wahine Hawaiian Rub: When Joey and I were on our honeymoon in Kauai we picked up a little packet of this Hawaiian Rub. We loved it so much that we had to order more. Now we order their quart size bags, which literally comes in a quart sized ziplock bag and a hand written note to say mahalo. We use this seasoning on everything including chicken, grilled vegetables, hamburgers, and more. My favorite thing to put it on is a steak. I promise you won't be disappointed with this seasoning. You can order some here.
2. Ava's Half Birthday: Ava turned six months old this week. Wow, time goes by so fast! We celebrated by giving her pears for her first fruit and a balloon to tie to her foot to play with.
3. Butter Pecan Cookies: This recipe is delicious! If you like nutty, with some sweet and salty then this recipe is for you. Not to mention it only has a few ingredients and super easy to make. Pin now...bake later.
4. Homemade Baby Food: Tomorrow I will be posting this on the blog. Usually when people think about homemade baby food they think that takes too much time. But let me tell you that it doesn't have to. I found a way to make baby food in less than ten minutes. It's so easy and healthy option for your baby. Not to mention it is SO much cheaper than buying baby food.
5. TGIF: I am so happy it is Friday and still loving my new job at the middle school. The three day weekend last weekend spoiled me. I am ready to be home with my family and we get to see some of our awesome friends this weekend!
These cookies have a nutty, sweet, yet salty goodness to them. I would say they taste like the Little Sandies cookies but they are better than those. With just a few ingredients these cookies are easy and quick to put together.
I can't believe our baby girl is 6 months old today! I hear people say all the time how time goes by so fast and before you know it they will be all grown up. Well the first few months didn't seem like that. It really felt like they were going by pretty slow but then all of a sudden time just took off. I feel like I blink and she has learned something new. These past two months have been my favorite months so far and this month is definitely my number one favorite.
To celebrate Ava's half birthday we introduced her to her first fruit. We started off giving her vegetable purees and then we said on her half birthday we will give her some fruit. We decided to start with pears and continue on with the rest of the P fruits. She LOVES them! I thought she might not like them because they are a little tart but she gobbled them all up.
Joey and I are truly enjoying this journey we are on as new parents. Of course, there are those challenging moments but everyday we learn something new and grow closer as a family of three. We thank God every day for this amazing angel he has brought into our lives.
6 Month Highlights:
Happy Half Birthday Ava!
Last weekend Joey and I headed to Jekyll Island for my cousins wedding. It was nice to celebrate with family, see some family that we haven't seen in a while and have a mini vacation. The first day we arrived we went to see Driftwood Beach and get out and about. This was Ava's first time at the beach. Unfortunately, it was so cold and windy that we didn't stay long at all.