This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and ConAgra Brands. All opinions are mine alone. #BreakfastGoals2018 #CollectiveBias
I am so happy Spring is here! The weather has been beautiful here in Florida. This week I am sharing a delicious recipe that is quick and easy for your spring mornings.
For spring time I like to spend more of my time outside and less time in the kitchen. Spring mornings are so beautiful and short lived here in Florida so we try to enjoy it as much as we can. Before we know it summer weather will be approaching.
Last weekend, I picked up some of Odom’s Tennessee Pride® Country Sausage in a Roll at Walmart while doing my weekly grocery shopping.
I used it to make a delicious Biscuits and Gravy Casserole the next morning. This recipe is so good and easy to make. In this dish the sausage really does the talking. The sausage has so many savory flavors that all I add is a pinch of salt and pepper and that’s it. No other seasonings are needed.
The recipe calls for 1/2 a pound of sausage. Sometimes I like extra meat in my gravy so I will add a whole pound of sausage.
I also used a medium round dish instead of rectangle dish. Either one will work. After 10 minutes of baking and once the biscuits turn golden brown I usually lightly cover the casserole with foil to prevent the biscuit tops from burning.
This biscuits and gravy casserole is so delicious it will have everyone coming back for seconds! It is the perfect touch to your beautiful spring mornings!
Here is a quick video to show you just how easy it is to make this Biscuits and Gravy Casserole.
Biscuits and Gravy Casserole
- 1 can large, flaky biscuits
- ½ pound ground breakfast sausage (Odom’s Tennessee Pride® Country Sausage in a Roll)
- 3 Tablespoons flour
- 2 and ½ cups milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees (F).
- Prepare a small casserole dish (approximately 7×10) with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Open biscuits, and cut biscuits into quarters.
- Layer half of the quarters in prepared pan.
- Bake for 10 minutes. (If they are undercooked it is ok. They will continue to cook in step 16)
- Prepare the gravy. In a heavy skillet, brown the ground breakfast sausage over medium high heat until fully cooked.
- Sprinkle 3 Tablespoons of flour over the cooked sausage.
- Use a wooden spoon or spatula to stir flour into sausage until completely absorbed.
- Lower heat to medium, and cook flour/sausage mixture for 3-5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add milk, and stir to combine.
- Add salt and black pepper.
- Stir frequently until mixture comes to a slight boil.
- If the gravy is too thick, add a bit more milk. You want the gravy to be thickened but it should still be slightly runny.
- Pour gravy over the cooked biscuits.
- Layer the remaining uncooked, quartered biscuits over the gravy.
- Place casserole dish on a baking sheet, and bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. If they start to over-brown, then cover with foil for the last 10 minutes or so.
- Serve immediately.