This recipe had me at sea salt. I love sea salt. This is a cookie recipe that I have been making for a long time. These cookies are definitely a crowd pleaser and one of Joey’s favorites. They start off with a soft and chewy chocolatey peanut butter taste and finish with a sweet and salty goodness.
You want to make sure to not overcook these cookies. Cook them until they are a little brown and crisp around the edges. They might look a little underdone in the middle but it’s ok. They will continue to cook while cooling on the cookie sheet. If for some reason you forget about the cookies or somehow you end up overcooking them, don’t worry, they will still be delicious. I accidentally did that on the last batch I made and they were still soft and moist. So you really can’t go wrong with this cookie!
Let me just warn you and tell you that you will want to eat the whole batch! I am not kidding!
Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Cookies with Sea Salt
- 11/3 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt, plus more for sprinkling
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter at room temperature
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon honey
- 1 egg plus 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon sour cream
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips (the mini chocolate chips are my favorite to use with these cookies)
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- With an electric mixer, mix the softened butter and peanut butter together until thoroughly blended.
- Add the brown sugar and beat until smooth.
- Beat in the egg, honey, vanilla, and sour cream until combined.
- Add the dry ingredients slowly and beat on low-speed just until combined.
- Gently stir in the chocolate chips. Chill dough in refrigerator for at least 1 hour, or place in freezer for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Once ready to bake, roll dough or scoop dough into 1-inch balls and place onto an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 9-12 minutes (depends on size of your cookie) or until cookies begin to turn a tiny golden brown and crisp up around the edges. Do not overbake! Remove from oven and let cool on cookie sheet for 3-5 minutes and sprinkle cookies generously with sea salt. Transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
- Under-baking your cookies is key to soft and chewy cookies. They may seem underdone in the middle but they will firm up as they cool. These cookies should have a very soft and chewy center with crisp edges.
- The cookies may require less or more time baking depending on the size of your cookies and how hot your oven gets.