This weekend I learned you can cook a spaghetti squash in 6 minutes in the instant pot (pressure cooker) and I was amazed!
Truthfully I usually stay away from spaghetti squash because they take way too long to cook in the oven, but this new instant pot method is life changing!
Instant Pot Stuffed Spaghetti Squash
- One spaghetti squash split in half with seeds removed.
- 1/2 lb of ground Italian sausage.
- 1 to 1 1/2 cup of marinara sauce of your choice.
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Set the instant pot on the sauté setting and cook the ground Italian sausage until it’s fully cooked.
- Add the marinara sauce to the sausage and combine.
- Remove cooked sausage from instant pot for later. ** Cooking the sausage in the instant pot helps preheat the instant pot and allows it to pressurize quicker. It also leads to easy clean up.**
- Add the steamer rack to the Instant Pot.
- Add a cup of water into the bottom. Arrange the cut squash halves on top of the rack and secure the lid.
- Make sure the steam release valve in the lid is turned to the Sealing position.
- Use the pressure cook or manual button to set the instant pot to cook at high pressure for 6 minutes. **If you cooked the meat in the pressure cooker (instant pot) then the pressure cooker should already be warmed and shouldn’t take long to pressurize. If you cooked the meat in a skillet then it will take the pressure cooker (instant pot) about 8-10 minutes to pressurize.
- When the timer goes off, carefully turn the steam release valve to Venting, to quickly release any remaining steam.
- Remove the squash from the instant pot. Use a fork to separate the cooked strands into spaghetti-like pieces
- Fill each cooked spaghetti squash halve with the cooked Italian sausage.
- Top with shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Optional: Place prepared spaghetti squash on a baking sheet. Broil in oven until cheese is browned and melted.
- Serve and enjoy.