Ya’ll!! I wish the smells and flavors of this kale and white bean sausage soup could come right through this blog post. If only you could smell the wonderful fragrance this soup delivers and the flavors on your taste buds you would want to make this recipe ASAP!
This soup is a kale, white bean and sausage soup cooked in chicken broth and seasoned with rosemary, parsley, oregano and of course a little bit of salt and pepper. The rosemary and oregano is what really make this soup stand out. Oh, and of course I topped mine with shredded parmesan for a nice cheesy finish.
I highly recommend making a double batch of this and freezing it for later.
Kale, White Bean and Sausage Soup
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 12 oz beef or turkey Polska Kiebasa Sausage , sliced into 1/4-inch thick slices (I used Hillshire Farm Turkey Sausage)
- 1 1/2 cups chopped carrots (about 3)
- 1 1/3 cups chopped yellow onion (1 medium)
- 1 cup chopped celery (2 stalks)
- 4 cloves garlic , minced (I used about a small spoonful of jarred minced garlic because I didn’t have fresh garlic on hand)
- 3 (14.5 oz cans) chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 Tbsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp dried rosemary , crushed
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper , to taste
- 6 oz kale , thick ribs removed, chopped (about 1 1/2 bunches. 5 oz if using pre-cut)
- 1 (14.5 oz) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- Shredded parmesan cheese , for serving
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add sausage and cook until slightly browned, tossing occasionally, about 5 minutes. Remove sausage, while leaving oil in pan, and drain sausage on a plate lined with paper towels and set aside.
- Return pot with oil to medium heat, add carrots, onion, and celery and saute 3 minutes (while scraping bottom of pan to get the browned bits).
- Add garlic and saute 1 minute longer. Stir in chicken broth, water, parsley, rosemary, oregano and season with salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, and allow to gently boil 10 minutes.
- Add kale and allow to boil 10 minutes longer until kale and veggies are tender. Stir in cooked sausage and cannellini beans (you can add more broth at this point to thin if desired). Serve warm, top each serving with parmesan cheese.
We served ours with a grilled cheese sandwich and the meal was just perfect!