Saying Goodbye to our Fur Baby, The Hardest Thing I’ve Ever Done

Today, we said goodbye to Georgia, our fur baby, family dog, and my best friend.

Georgia, was the only dog I’ve ever owned since being an adult. I got her a few months after college and for a while it was just her and I. Then after I met my husband and we had Ava she quickly became our family dog. Her and Ava became best buds. They were two peas in a pod. One of Ava’s first words was Georgia. She might have even said it before momma.

A few days ago Georgia was playing in the yard when someone shot off some fireworks. The loud noise spooked Georgia and within seconds she made this whaling sound and started limping around.  Shortly after, her back legs started to collapse on her every time she tried to walk.

Within minutes Joey took her to our local vet. The doctor said as soon as he saw her he knew what it was. X-rays confirmed that Georgia had intervertebral disc disease. When the firework went off she zigged when she should have zagged, causing a disc to rupture in her spine. This pretty much made her paralyzed from her hips down. The doctor gave her a steroid shot and some more steroids for us to give her twice a day. He mentioned that within 48 hours we will know if things are improving or getting worse.

The only solution for something like this was spinal surgery that could cost anywhere from $5,000- $6,500 and still wasn’t a guarantee that it would help. After the surgery she wouldn’t be able to run around, swim in Nona and Papa’s pool, jump or chase squirrels. All the things she loved to do she wouldn’t have been able to do anymore. There also wasn’t a guarantee that it wouldn’t happen again or that she would be free from pain. For a dog her age (8 years old), size (75 lbs) and breed (pit bull) we didn’t think surgery was the right thing to do. It just didn’t seem practical.

The 48 hours passed and we didn’t see any improvement. At this point Georgia couldn’t walk without us holding her back legs for her, she had to be hand fed, and couldn’t get into the position to pee or poop. The doctor said she wasn’t in any pain, but as I saw the sadness in her eyes I knew she was aware of what was going on. I knew in my heart that I couldn’t let her suffer like that any longer.

Today, I had to make one of the hardest decisions of my life. I decided that I wanted Georgia’s life to end on a happy note. I didn’t want her to live in misery and pain. I decided it was time to let her go.

During the hours leading up to our appointment we fed her lots of doggy ice cream, treats, snuggled with her, told her how much we loved her and promised her that one day we will meet again.

Nothing can prepare you for something like this. Deciding when it’s your dog’s time to leave this earth is so heartbreaking and one of the hardest things to experience, but keeping her around would have just been selfish of me. Now, we know she is free of any pain and up in heaven making new friends and chasing squirrels.  I know I will see her again one day, but until then we will miss her dearly.

It’s crazy to think in a matter of seconds your life can change just like Georgia’s. Cherish every second and every minute or every day.

“Nothing loved is ever lost”


Leave a Reply