What is a capsule wardrobe? Capsule wardrobe is just a trendy-cool name for a small collection of useful clothing that you love that changes with each season.
Some word associations with “capsule wardrobe” include: minimalism, streamlining, organization, resourcefulness, mindfulness, simplifying, and my personal favorite – easy. I think the phrase easy is what had me hooked.
WHY A CAPSULE WARDROBE FOR A TODDLER
- Less is more.
- Easier to do laundry and put clothes away.
- No fighting picking out clothes.
- Multiple outfits with fewer pieces.
- Prevent mindless spending on clothes she doesn’t need.
- Spend less.
- I wanted to try it out on her before I do one for myself. Haha.
HOW TO START A CAPSULE WARDROBE
This is my first ever capsule wardrobe so I’m no expert but this is what has worked for us so far.
- Declutter and clean out – I went through all of Ava’s clothing and got rid of things that didn’t fit, were out of season, or had a lot of wear and tear.
- Take inventory – make a list of items you need to add to the wardrobe.
- Shop! – This is my favorite part. You want to shop for items that can be mix-matched together to make multiple outfits.
- I picked ONE store to shop at online. It’s just easier to me.
- I decided to shop at Old Navy for Ava. I love their styles, I know exactly what size she’s in and they DON’T SHRINK and hold up well after several washes. This is important because these clothes will be washed often. Also, Old Navy’s clothing tends to run big so Ava has more time in these than others.
- I recommend waiting for a sale. I went ahead and added things to my cart online and then waited until they had a really good sale. A few pieces did sell out before I could get them but thats ok.
And that’s it! Simple right? I love that a capsule wardrobe really doesn’t have any rules. None! You make it work for you. The key though is to have minimal amount of pieces that can be mix -matched to make several different outfits.
There are several capsule wardrobe checklist on Pinterest you can find, but they were very overwhelming to me. So I just went with it and did what works for us. For example, in Ava’s fall capsule wardrobe there are a lot of shorts. That’s because it’s so hot in Florida during the fall. I also, only have leggings and not pants or jeans because she isn’t comfortable in those.
BUT WHAT ABOUT DAYCARE…
I use to have “daycare clothes” and “regular clothes” but I don’t do that anymore. It is what it is. I’ve learned she gets just as many stains on her clothes wearing them on the weekends as she does at daycare. Also, she wasn’t getting the most use out of her clothes.
What I love about this capsule wardrobe is there are clothes that she can also wear to church. Now, if there is a special event that she needs something more fancy then we will purchase that for her. Remember, no rules in a capsule wardrobe. Do what works for you.
I do have two pairs of “old clothes” stored separately in her closet for arts and crafts. I also, kept two pairs of old clothing in her backpack incase she needs to have a change of clothes at daycare. These are clothes that still fit her but have a lot of wear and tear. Basically, clothes that I don’t mind if they get lost at daycare.
WHAT’S IN OUR TODDLER’S CAPSULE WARDROBE
Below you’ll find what we have in Ava’s fall capsule wardrobe. This is a mixture of some items we kept from her summer clothes and the new items we bought from Old Navy. From research I’ve done it seems like you want to keep it between 30-37 pieces in order to keep things simple.
- TOPS / BLOUSES/ GRAPHIC TEES : 12
- SHORTS : 10
- LEGGINGS: 5
- DRESSES: 7
- PAJAMAS : 5 (This isn’t really included in a capsule wardrobe as well as undergarments and shoes)
WHAT TO DO ABOUT GRANDPARENTS AND GIFTS
This was a big thing for me, because how do you tell a grandparent they can’t spoil their grandchild? My answer is just let them! I think just roll with. Maybe try to communicate with them some things they might need or something that would go well with their capsule wardrobe already. Plus it doesn’t hurt to have an extra piece to the collection. Remember, there are no rules! You’re just trying to make like more simple and easier for you.
HOW WE LIKE IT SO FAR…
It’s only been a few weeks and so far I love it. It made packing for vacation SUPER easy and I don’t have to worry about mindless spending. My husband and I went to the mall the other day and I didn’t even think about shopping for clothes for her because she has everything she needs. Even with all the Labor day sales I just walked away and didn’t buy a thing!
I will do another post midway through or towards the end of the season and let you know how things are going. You can also follow along on Insta Stories and my other social media channels.
Have you tried a capsule wardrobe before?